|Here is a receiver drier still on the vehicle. They |
are often located behind the front grill or bumper.
|Another receiver drier still on the vehicle.|
After saving receiver driers for a while, I decided to see what could be done with them. I began by dissembling one. Using a hack saw I cut the top off of the drier. Once the top was off, all the guts could be removed and I was left with a hollow cylinder. I found that it sounded a lot like a chime.
|The internal parts of a receiver drier.|
With a Korg CA-40 Tuner, a saw and a file I have been slowly cutting the chimes to tune them as close to each individual pitch as possible. I do not replace a lot of receiver driers at work so it is a slow process to add new notes. The goal is a full octave of chimes, like the pulley bells. As of right now there are 9 chimes total, but they are not chromatic. The receiver driers that I have now are from a variety of different types of cars including Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mercedes Benz, and BMW.
For mounting the chimes I drilled two small 1/8" holes near the top of each chime. Then I strung all of the chimes on a wire above the pulley bells. They have a good tone and blend well with the rest of the Motor Rhythms set.